Skip to main content


"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it," said Atticus Finch, the fictional lawyer in To Kill A Mockingbird.  For true dialogue to occur, we must cut through those stereotypes and genuinely consider the other person's point of view.  Perhaps this is par of what Jesus meant when He said, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Christians fail to communicate to others because we ignore basic principles in relationships.  When we make condescending judgments, or proclaim lofty words that don't translate into action, or simply speak without first listening, we fail to love.  I really doubt God keeps track of how many arguments we win, but God may indeed keep track of how well we love.

God has a large stake in how we love.  It was the "new commandment" that Jesus left to His followers.  John, the disciple whom Jesus loved, stated in his writing that through love we make known an invisible God.  "No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us" (1 John 4:12).  In his first letter to the church at Corinth, Paul declared that without love all our words and deeds are like irritating noises--the annoying cymbal or clanging of the gong.

So here's a good test of how well we love: Are other people glad to be with us?  Somehow Jesus managed to attract the kind of people frowned upon by most religious types, and yet those people liked being with Jesus. The very truth is that when we love people without any restraints we are actually loving God.  I wonder why I was never taught this in Bible college?  In fact, I wonder why they don't have classes on loving others at seminary seeing that is the one commandment of the New Covenant that Jesus left for His followers and the church.  It is also the main ingredient missing in our culture today. 

Jonathan Sacks, the former chief rabbi of Great Britain said, "The supreme religious challenge is to see God's image in one who is not in our image."  All to often Christians take the opposite approach.  Some demonize opponents, branding them "secular humanists" or "heretics" or something similar, and then retreat into a company of like-minded thinkers.  Politics especially encourages adversary relationships - the opposite of love - and Christians are prone to caricature those with whom they disagree as liberal or even immoral, and shun them.  

Jesus only had scathing remarks for the religious oppressors of His day.  He didn't fight against the political regimes of His day, even though they would eventually condemn Him to the cross.  Jesus was cordial with Pilate as He faced the questioning of this secular governor.  And think about the Roman centurion who was there at the crucifixion.  He had witnessed countless executions and never seen what he saw that day when Jesus loved others by dying on the cross without any reservation.

You see love has the power to win over the stranger, the enemy, the opposition.  That is why this command to love others - even our enemies is found in no other religion.  Jesus asks that His followers to show love not only to strangers and sinners but also to our outright adversaries.  "Love your enemies," He said in the Sermon on the Mount, and "pray for those who persecute you."

Why would Jesus give such an outrageous command?  He gave us the answer: ". . . that you may be children of your Father in heaven.  He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous" (Matthew 6:45).  In Luke's telling of the very same thing he states: ". . . and you will be children of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful" (Luke 6:35-36). The more we love, and the more unlikely people we love, the more we resemble God - who loves all people, even the difficult ones.

Martin Luther King Jr. had many opportunities to practice the principle of "Loving Your Enemies."  In a sermon by that title, written in jail after he had been arrested during the Montgomery bus boycott, he explained his method:

To our most bitter opponents we say: ". . . Do to us what you will, and we shall continue to love you. . . . Throw us in jail and we shall still love you.  Bomb our homes and threaten our children, and we shall still love you.  Send your hooded perpetrators of violence into our community at the midnight hour and beat us and leave us half dead, and we shall still love you.  But be ye assured that we will wear you down by our capacity to suffer.  One day we shall win freedom but not only for ourselves.  We shall so appeal to your heart and conscience that we shall win you in the process and our victory will be a double victory."

Now imagine if our country were to follow this advice, which almost seems to be written for the events we find today.  Think of how Christians would be thought of if we followed the teachings of Jesus instead of the popular teachings of religious and political leaders of our day.  I think this is the reason that the author of Proverbs told us that a soft answer turns away wrath.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who faced the evils of Nazi Germany advised that in response to cultured despisers who stand against the church, "the quiet service of love is the best spiritual care."

Jesus said to feed the poor and to heal the sick.  To be totally honest, I have not done very much about that.  Jesus said to love those who persecute me.  I tend to be angry and lash out, especially if I feel threatened or if my ego feels threatened.  Jesus did not mix His spirituality with politics.  I grew up in the middle of Christian circles that are extremely politically opinionated.  And to be totally honest, it got in the way of the central message of Christ.  If I am honest, I have to admit that was and is wrong, and I know that there are many who will not listen to the words of Christ because of people like me, who carry our own agendas into the conversations rather than just relaying the message that Christ wanted to get across.

We Christians do not have all the answers.  We stumble along, believing that an invisible God really does exist, that there is more to life than the mere struggles of the day, that despite all appearances the universe is a product of God's personal love.  Along the way we muddle ethical issues and miss the priorities of the kingdom of God.  The approach of admitting our errors, besides being true to a gospel of grace, is most effective at expressing who we are.  Propaganda turns people off; humbly admitting mistakes disarms.  Far from claiming to have it all together, Christians should regularly confess that we do not.  True followers of Jesus distinguish themselves primarily by admitting failure and the need for help.

I don't know about you, but every day I watch the news and worry about the world in which my kids and grandkids are inheriting.  It is full of hate and though I want to blame the media, the liberal left, the conservative right, President Trump, candidate Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, ANTIFA, Black Lives Matters, protestors, Congress, and whoever else I can think of, the truth is that as a Christ-follower, I have not loved others -the strangers, those that oppose the truth, my enemies -  the way Jesus commanded me.  I have heard both political parties say that this election is the most important election ever, but the truth is the most important vote you and I will face is whether we will love one another as Christ commanded.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fires, Lights, Barriers, and Superman. . . Encouragement for Difficult Days

     Have you ever had one of those days where you wished you had never gotten out of bed?  Those days come for everyone (like that is encouraging), but how we make it through those days is totally up to each of us.  John Maxwell tells us in his book, The Winning Attitude , that "our attitude determines our altitude."  You know he is right, but sometimes you want to ask guys like him, "Have you been through a day like mine?".  I can't really answer that question, but a guy named David helps us with our struggles.        David wasn't always king and things weren't always easy for him.  Sure we all know about his Goliath situation, but if you looked into David's life it would seem like a mess.  He was anointed to be king in his teen years, but had to wait for God to remove Saul.  In the mean time, Saul made David's life difficult to say the least.  He was the most wanted man in his home country, as well as in Philistine.  Because of this he had

Why is it so hard to walk on water?

     Yesterday I came home from work to find that my kitchen light wasn't working.  No big deal, except for the fact that today is my oldest son's birthday.  My wife was intending to make him a birthday cake, but with no light it was going to be challenging.  So we decided that the thing to do was to try new light bulbs and if that didn't work, replace the fixture.  This meant a trip to our local Lowes to get what was needed.  The unique light bulbs took a while to find and then we selected (after a few moments of debating price, color, size, etc.) a new light fixture and went home.        The easy and more inexpensive solution would have been the replacement light bulbs, but when we changed them out the light still did not work.  This meant changing out the fixture.  Though the box of the new light fixture assured me that this was a simple task that could be completed by one person but this proved to be not as simple.  After some sweat, frustration, and perseverance w

Puppy Love

     Anyone who knows me knows I love my dog.  Three years ago a friend in our church had puppies to give away and left their pictures in the lobby of the church.  It was love at first sight, I just had to convince my wife.  Finally, I cajoled and persuaded her how great it would be to have a puppy again and she agreed.  We made all of the arrangements and brought home my dog, Daisy.      If you have ever seen the movie "Marlee and Me," the crazy stuff that Marlee does is exactly Daisy.  I can remember watching the movie thinking to myself that someone had been following me around taking notes on how Daisy acts to write that story.        While Daisy has had her share of "adventures" that one day we will look back and laugh about, there is one thing that I love desperately about her.  Every morning I get up first in my house and do my morning routine--shower, get dressed, and then go out to the family room to read my Bible.  Each and every morning I am greeted wit

Graduation Day

Usually, I am not emotional about things, but this morning I am fighting back tears. Today my oldest son is graduating from high school. Time has been trying to tell me that I am starting to get old --grey hairs, need for more sleep, my son is taller than me, etc. When my wife and I first started having children, I was very excited about the time I would get to spend with my kids as the matured. I rellished teaching them sports, helping them with homework, and even discussing awkward dating situations. Today, I know that this is not completely over, but a huge part of my son's time learning with me to teach and coach him is over. For this, I shed a tear. I also realize how much I am in love with all my kids, and especially my son as I contemplate his very last grade school day. For those young parents who are just starting the parenting days, treasure each day and tell your children you love them daily. As for me, I just want to say, "Son, I love you." Congrat

What I want for Father's Day

Do you remember that Cosby Show episode on father's day where Cliff (the dad) wanted his kids to put some thought into a father's day gift?  He got out all of the cheesy father's day gifts they had given to him over the years and showed them how ludicrous they were.  This Sunday will be father's day, but not just any father's day for me.  This will be the first one without my dad.   It is funny, my kids have been asking me what I would like for Father's Day.  I told them a paint sprayer would be nice, but honestly what I really would like to have is my dad (& mom) back.  Mom passed away from cancer a little over five years ago.  We went through the long decline and eventual passing as a family.  Dad left in a hurry this past March. Dad had moved in with my family after mom's passing.  At times, it was difficult for everyone to adjust, but dad found his second home with us.  I know that he really missed mom and longed to go be with her, but I

The Greatest Gift

     I was flipping through the pages of my Bible when it popped out, a picture of my daughter.  The picture was from her first Christmas.  She was such a happy baby.  In fact she made everyone around her happy--it was infectious.       Becoming a dad was nothing I was (or for that matter am) prepared for.  Everyone I knew had told me about the practical side of parenting.  People offered advice about how much kids will cost me, eat me out of house and home, and take from me.  I was made too painfully aware of the every rising expenses of diapers, baby food, clothes, education, and other miscellaneous items.  What I was never told was how much my kids would give me.           As we approach another Father's day, I am worried.  Once again my kids will head to who knows where ( Wal -Mart most likely!) to get some kind of gift that Hallmark has deemed a necessity to go with their card giving occasion (cynical isn't it).  Over the years I have gotten some "great" gifts. 

Value

     It has been a long time since I last wrote.  I have often intended to, but never took the time to just write.  There have been many things on my mind that I have really wanted to write about, but maybe the most pressing is on the thought of value.      In an economically challenged world, value has become hugely important.  Our lives have become inundated with practicality and productivity.  No longer do we take the time to live, laugh, and love.  Value is given to everything, and unfortunately value drives our visions and goals.  Our time and more often our sanity is sacrificed doing things that we believe bring value to our lives in hope that we will achieve some level of worth that will make us satisfied with our lives.     One of the biggest questions of Jesus was, "What profit (value) does a man have if he gains the whole world, but loses his own soul?" [Paraphrase]  Something we all need to consider is the value we give to our lives.  As I work with teens

Living the Good Life

The other morning I was hungry and decided to stop by Dunkin' Doughnuts for coffee and a toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese.  As I pulled in looked over to the drive thru and noticed the cars were stacked 4-5 deep and they didn't look like they were going anywhere.  So, I decided to go inside (I am not a huge drive thru fan).  Once inside I notice that all of the employees had long, sad faces . . .  the kind you get after working a double shift.  Even the manager looked like she didn't want to be there.  Not one person had a smile on their face.  It caused me to think about how the end of their day would look, since this was only 6:55 a.m.   So often we forget that as Christ-followers we have every reason to smile.  Psalm 47 encourages us to get excited about the life that we have because God is AWESOME!  It calls us to clap our hands (and I'm not thinking that quite little golf clap) and shout for joy.  When was the last time you got up out of bed and ga

Getting used to the Daily Grind

     Back when my wife and I were first married, Dunkin' Doughnuts had an advertisement that showed one of their employees getting up in the early hours of the morning--every morning.  He would be half asleep, but he would repeat, "Time to make the doughnuts," every time.  It was very humorous and got my wife and I to repeat that slogan as we would wander out of bed to start our day.  It was those morning blahs of a daily grind that we were referring to when we said, "time to make the doughnuts."  But haven't you ever felt like you are stuck in a rut?  Maybe it's your job or your relationships or you church or your life that have you feeling like you are caught in routine.  Possibly it is something that really has you enslaved that you really don't want anyone knowing about. Don't get used to slavery!      The Israelites had this problem.  They had grown accustomed to being slaves in Egypt.  Joseph had saved them and the known world fro

The Real Me . . . Psalm 51

     So much of our day to day routine is wrapped up in making us into something that we really aren't.  Young people pierce themselves all over.  Tattoos are all the rage again.  Hair styles are constantly on the change (for those who can grow hair still).  With Mohawks, mullets, shaved heads, spikes for the young and hair weaves, plugs, and dye jobs for the not so young, as a culture we are constantly trying to change our image.  Why?  I would have to speculate that we are not satisfied with who or what we are.  From the time that Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of Eden, man has been trying to rid himself of the image of God because it reminds us that we are accountable to Him.        In Psalm 51, David finally gets to the understanding that no matter how much he pretended on the exterior, God really knew what he was on the inside.  David had done such a good cover up job, that he really thought no one would find out about the adulterous relationship he had with Bathsheba.  Da